Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Pretty code (6)

This is absolutely the last post about html and code stuff. The whole adventure started here. It's a bit amusing to realize that if I had just understood what <br> tags were about (and <span> and <div>), this would never have happened.

I decided to write my own parser for Python code, so that I could post the results here. On the way, I learned something about "styles" and stylesheets. To organize things, I put this code for a "style" in the template for the blog at the end of <head>:

<style type='text/css'>
div.content
{
font-size:12pt;
font-family:arial;
color: #404040;
}

div.code
{ 
font-size:12pt;
font-family:courier;
margin: 20px;
border-style: solid;
padding: 5px;
border-width: 1px;
border-color:#ff00ff;
}

span.kw   { color:blue; }
span.str  { color:red; }
span.str3 { color:purple; }
span.py   { color:#00b0b0; }
span.cm   { color:green; }
</style>

The parser output looks great when run on itself. The first little bit is here:


But, alas, it was not to be. The Blogger editor is now (still) messing with my code, removing all the <br /> that I carefully put in, so that the informative whitespace is gone in the actual post (though not in the intial preview before posting). It looks hopeless at this point.

Files for the parser on Dropbox (here). The only known bugs are those visible in the comment lines above, where the strings should have been masked by being inside a comment.

Unfortunately, I do not know how to make this all work for Blogger.

What a waste! I am not happy with these guys. The only way I can see is to have my own server.