Wednesday, March 9, 2011

David Broder

I'm a political junkie. Can't help it. I start the day with Ezra Klein (after he appears online), and perhaps, end the day with Josh Marshall's gang. So it is with sadness that I hear of David Broder's passing (no link, the Post obit runs an ad).

There was a time in the 90s when I watched Washington Week in Review (when it was something, with Ken Bode as the moderator) and Broder was always impressive. I think he was the last of the giants---think David Brinkley, Walter Cronkite, Charles Kurault.

Now we're left with screeching vapid idiots like---well, anyone on CNN except David Gergen. I miss the time when serious analysis could be found on TV. Sigh. Perhaps a good analogy is this: think of the difference between Hubie Brown (or Doug Collins) and anyone else who calls basketball games. I love Hubie, he's entertaining, but even more important, you can actually learn something.